Joan Miro - 'People in the Night', 1949
‘Collaboration and Connection’
In my latest posts with the 'All are Cs', I refer to all skills, concepts and terms that start with C and are fundamental keys fostering Leadership, Innovation, the wellbeing of organizations and furthermore have a positive impact on an individual level.
In this article I will deal with Collaboration and Connection and their interdependence, Collaboration is Connection and Connection is Collaboration.
I will repeat one more time the importance of creativity in Collaboration and Connection mentioned also by two very significant personalities who said the following about connection-s and creative process:
” Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.'‘ - William Plomer Author, Novelist, Literary Editor
” Creativity is just connecting things.‘‘ – Steve Jobs
Starting with the term collaboration, in my opinion Collaboration needs balance, equality, respect and continuous conciliation. The world has evolved through the collaboration of 2 and more creative minds, through collaboration
Collaborating is about receptiveness, acceptance and <collection>. I will mention the essential elements for a successful collaboration.
Let’s have a look at the elements of collaboration, some are obvious and some are more complicated.
'Elements of Collaboration'
- Goal/Target – This step is especially for a team the first step. The purpose of collaboration. Starting with Why we decided and need to collaborate.
- Communication – Means listen, balance and equality for the team. Everyone must have the voice and the time needed to communicate.
- Receptiveness and Acceptance – Comes from diversity, enrichment and people from different backgrounds. Acceptance must be mutual for the team.
- Collaboration Roles – The questions and expression of opinions must be like “Yes” and not “Yes but”. Tell me what you think? Collaboration also includes individual roles like agreement and disagreement.
- Trust and Honesty – All the people in any collaboration must trust one another, be honest and accept input at all levels. Selfish and egos must leave outside.
- Validation – The team must create and proceed to ways for the target of collaboration. They should be clear for the <object> and the goal of the collaboration.
- Emotional Intelligence – Human elements must help and enrich the collaboration. Bad behaviors and feelings must be left outside of the procedure, using as much as possible basic elements of the Emotional Intelligence.
- Decisions – The decisions to be taken must be acceptable, clear and ready for implementation. Important elements for the substance and success.
*Key element - Creativity
For a team, getting the right people and understanding each of their specialized expertise is essential. A team is important and so are their ideas; this is what leveraging creative collaboration is all about.
Creative collaboration is simple when you have leverage. When you utilize the ideas and assistance of others, it takes less time and even the most significant dreams become obtainable.
Leader and Collaboration
A good leader is able to unite and motivate a team while also possessing the ability to make an authoritative decision. When working collaboratively, a final decision will need to be made at some point. As a leader, your ability to follow through with that decision will be what sets you apart from others. Provide a clear mission objective.
As a Leader nurture the brilliance of your people and do everything you can to remove barriers to high performance. Avoid being too autocratic and allow time for the team to weigh in on decisions. Help build team connections across the organization. Give credit where credit is due and recognize team performance as well as individual.
Talent, Healthy relationships are at the heart of collaboration, a guiding vision and clarity of purpose are key to collaboration. Connect the project with big picture company objectives, make your ideas visible and tangible. Provide an infrastructure and resources.
Connection is building relationships with Ideas, Elements, Things, Customers, Colleagues, Society, Innovation...
Connecting is more about understanding than it is about talking or listening
The point is to Connect your brain and thoughts with the motivation and action.
To connect you must use all the elements and characteristics of creativity http://www.mikepetrakis.com/index.php/art-inside-business/a-b-c-art-business-creativity/36-disciplines-of-creativity and a proper Learner http://www.mikepetrakis.com/index.php/art-inside-business/a-b-c-art-business-creativity/38-disciplines-of-a-learner
Two elements to connect and collaborate is the function of creativity and critical thinking For a team to achieve the co-operation they should have common goals
The human brain cannot deliberately concentrate on two separate objects or ideas, no matter how dissimilar, no matter how remote, without eventually forming a connection between them.
Our genius as humans is our ability to create elaborate architectures in our imaginations to invent patterns and make new connections.
For innovation, you must connect through polymath, diversity, constant communication and contact with various people and elements.
In connection and collaboration interaction is a necessity.
Leader and Connection
Great Leaders connect and bridge the present with the past and the future, the old with the new.
Leadership is the craft of working with other humans to get things done and great leaders know how to use tools and techniques to work their connections with others to develop beautiful and functional relationships.
No matter what medium you use on interpersonal connections, you can only master your craft through disciplined action, and learning a set of skills as a means of achieving the desired outcome.
leadership as a practice is to connect to yourself to understand your behaviors, and interactions, and figure out how they contribute to a situation, especially problematic ones.
Peter Liversidge - 'Everything is Connected'
Connection is about to understand completely the purpose, as a team or individual.
- What do you want to achieve as an entity, as a team?
- What are the bases and situations at the moment?
- What do I/we have to do?
- How it should be done to succeed?
- How much flexibility is there?
- What do I/we choose to achieve?
Real connection is more than just talking to others or sharing interests…
Through my seminars and courses I use elements of Brainstorming, Creative Team Building, Design Thinking to develop collaboration and connection.